Every second Saturday of the month, 4 pm - Divine Liturgy in English of Sunday - Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral of the Holy Family, Duke Street, London W1K 5BQ. Followed by refreshments.
Next Liturgy: Saturday 9th September, 4pm

To purchase The Divine Liturgy: an Anthology for Worship (in English), order from the Sheptytsky Institute here, or the St Basil's Bookstore here.

To purchase the Divine Praises, the Divine Office of the Byzantine-Slav rite (in English), order from the Eparchy of Parma here.

The new catechism in English, Christ our Pascha, is available from the Eparchy of the Holy Family and the Society. Please email johnchrysostom@btinternet.com for details.




Monday, 27 September 2010

Moscow Restores Two Kremlin Wall Icons Hidden by the Soviets

File:Spas Smolensky 2010.jpg
The Icon of the Smolenksy Saviour -
Spas Smolensky on the Spasskaya Tower 

Thanks to Zenit - Two icons covered in plaster on towers of the Moscow Kremlin are being restored.

It is believed the icons of Christ the Savior and St. Nicholas were covered in 1937, as part of celebrations marking 20 years of the Soviet state. Historical documents indicate the icons were still visible in 1918.

The Spasskaya Tower has the icon of Christ the Savior with St. Sergius and St. Varlaam at his feet. It was painted in the early 16th century.

The Nikolskaya Tower's icon of St. Nicholas dates back to the late 15th or early 16th centuries. That icon was damaged by bullets in 1917, but the face survived, which believers hailed as a miracle.

The St. Andrew the First-Called Foundation is funding the restoration project, which it initiated in 2007.


Nicholas Mozhaisk
St Nicholas on the Nikolskaya Tower

More interesting information on the St Nicholas Center site.
Post a Comment