Every second Saturday of the month, 4 pm - Divine Liturgy in English of Sunday - Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral of the Holy Family, Duke Street, London W1K 5BQ. Followed by refreshments.
Next Liturgy: Saturday 9th September, 4pm

To purchase The Divine Liturgy: an Anthology for Worship (in English), order from the Sheptytsky Institute here, or the St Basil's Bookstore here.

To purchase the Divine Praises, the Divine Office of the Byzantine-Slav rite (in English), order from the Eparchy of Parma here.

The new catechism in English, Christ our Pascha, is available from the Eparchy of the Holy Family and the Society. Please email johnchrysostom@btinternet.com for details.




Friday, 7 August 2009

Open Air Divine Liturgy in Liverpool, 1937

The Pathe news film archive carries a remarkable short video of the celebration of the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy outside the Lutyens crypt of Liverpool Catholic Cathedral in 1937. Here is the link.

The Bishop is the Servant of God Mykolai Carneckyj (or Charnetsky) CSsR (1884-1959), a Ukrainian Greek-Catholic Redemptorist. He was associated with the work of Metropolitan Andriy Sheptytsky to protect and strengthen the Ukrainian Catholic Church, but at the end of the Second World War, when Ukraine inevitably fell into the hands of Russia and incorporated into the Soviet Union, Kyr Mykolai was arrested by the NKVD and sentenced to 6 years' hard labour in Siberia. He died in Lviv in 1959.

The Pathe reportage is excellent. It describes the "Byzantine Slavonic" rite to be celebrated by the Eastern bishop as Orthodox, but goes on to explain that while many Orthodox did not agree with the papacy or accept its authority, these were Orthodox who did. Evidently Pathe had been well briefed by a member of the Society of St John Chrysostom.

The Chairman, Fr John Salter, offers the picture below of another celebration of the Byzantine rite celebrated in a very western setting: "a Greek Catholic Bishop correctly vested, but celebrating the Divine Liturgy of St John Chrysostom at a Latinized altar attended by Latinized acolytes."

Post a Comment